Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I announce my intent to bake beignets

I don't know if most girls my age can cook and bake, but I have issues with it. I believe this stems from the fact that cooking requires 100% of my attention, and I cannot give it more than 70% at a time.

My chief problem is making sure things don't burn, although I also have an issue with losing the measuring cups and then 'eyeballing' all the measurements. Also, I have an issue with not adding salt.....but back to burning things.

What happens is I pop the mix in the oven. "Okay, I'll let this bake 15 minutes," I tell myself.

I get bored and leave after two minutes, thinking, The timer thing will beep and I'll hear it.

What really happens is I come back thirty minutes later to find my mom has tried to rescue the cookies, but they're all burned and crusty on the bottom. We don't usually buy sweets in the house, so anyone who wants a sugar fix will end up miserably gnawing on my rock hard cookies to satisfy their craving. I don't even think the family gets excited when I try to bake anymore. They've been disappointed too much.

I even burn the waffles in the waffle maker. Once I made a waffle that was so hard, we used it as a Frisbee, which was funny until it almost broke our neighbor kid's hand.





Anyway, I've decided to change all of this right here and now. I'm going to make beignets.

I can hear you asking, why beignets?

Because my mom had a box of Cafe Du Monde beignet mix, and it was gathering dust until I dug it out of of the pantry. I planned to make it ever since I discovered it's the same thing Princess Tiana makes in her movie, but my mom threw it away recently on the grounds that it was expired (do flour and sugar even expire?)

So I copied a cool recipe for oven baked beignets from Eat Live Run (I don't want to set the house on fire trying to fry things) and I'm going to bake them and upload the pictures on this site, iA.

Will I burn them? Will they taste good? Will they be hard enough to use as weapons this time?

FIND OUT when I get around to making beignets.



What I want to happen


What's probably going to happen